Bandcamp Brings Back Monthly Commission-Free Fridays

To help support artists during the pandemic in 2020, Bandcamp has begun waiving commissions for purchases made on the first Friday of each month. And after, the next Bandcamp commission-free shopping day

In total, the company says its 17 Bandcamp Fridays to date have paid out more than $70 million to artists and labels during the pandemic, with more than 800,000 customers participating since its launch in March 2020. After the first Bandcamp Fridays in 2022, the next a list of commission-free sales days will be March 4, April 1, and May 6. And when in doubt whether it’s a Bandcamp Friday or not, there’s even one who can quickly sort things out.

Bandcamp claims that during its commission-free sales days, 93% of revenue on average goes to musicians, with the remaining 7% going to payment processors. Meanwhile, on a normal day, around 82% of sales are passed on to artists and labels, resulting in a discount of around 10-11% for Bandcamp (which is still significantly lower than the standard 30% commission that tech giants like Apple and Google receive from their app stores).

Unfortunately, with no clear end in sight to the pandemic, it remains to be seen what will become of Bandcamp Fridays in the summer and fall. And with COVID-19 infections currently peaking in several parts of the world, anyone can guess how long these commission-free sales days might have to continue before we can safely return to big in-person events.

Aurora J. William